Tuesday, May 1, 2012

The Joystiq Indie Pitch: Minke Rescue

Indie developers are the starving artists of the video-game world, often brilliant and innovative, but also misunderstood, underfunded and more prone to writing free-form poetry on their LiveJournals. We at Joystiq believe no one deserves to starve, and many indie developers are entitled to a fridge full of tasty, fulfilling media coverage, right here. This week, Leigh Marlow of The Apptivist Studio presents a game with a greater purpose -- to stop the violent whaling in Antarctic waters -- named Minke Rescue. ImageWhat's your game called and what's it about?

Minke Rescue is a new iPhone game. You play the part of a minke whale in the beautiful and harsh Antarctic Ocean. Best of all, it's only $0.99 -- and 30 percent from every game purchased goes directly to Sea Shepherd.

What inspired you to make Minke Rescue?

I wanted to raise awareness and funds for specific causes that I'm passionate about. However, I'm not noted for my cake making, t-shirt designing or car washing, nor do I have a sufficiently cashed-up network of friends to host a (successful) charity ball.

In early 2010, after acquiring my first iPhone, I soon discovered the power of apps -- how regularly I was willing to spend small amounts of money -- and how addictive the very best apps can be. An ah-ha moment occurred and my direction was set -- to create a cool little iPhone game that benefited Sea Shepherd. The key ingredients were that the game had to be fun, addictive and not too preachy.

The best part is I get to combine my passion for gaming and my passion for the environment.

Continue reading The Joystiq Indie Pitch: Minke Rescue

JoystiqThe Joystiq Indie Pitch: Minke Rescue originally appeared on Joystiq on Wed, 11 Apr 2012 22:30:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments]]>

No comments:

Post a Comment